Listen and Appraise Step 3
Pure Imagination from ‘Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory’ soundtrack
First, Log in with your YUMU Login details
You will see the tabs Listen, Appraise, Fast Facts and History on the screen.
On the screen you will see the following instruction:
Listen carefully. Perhaps close your eyes. Use your imagination as you enjoy the music. You might see colours, words, pictures, or encounter lots of different feelings. Share some of this with your family and teacher after you have listened.
Play the music/song. Move to the music or sit down to listen with closed eyes. You can make notes, draw, write down any words that comes to your minds to discuss with your family or you might create your own listening map - a visual representation of what you hear.
These are some extra listening ideas:
● Listen to ‘Your Imagination’ again and sing along. Use this as an extra opportunity to learn the song
● Look for similarities and differences between the songs
After listening to the song, answer the on-screen questions. Click ‘Show answer’ and an answer will appear! Remember to use the correct musical language when responding.
● Does this song tell a story? Perhaps the words tell a story or perhaps the music creates a story in your imagination. What is that story?
● What can you hear? An orchestra with percussion. A male voice.
● How does the music make you feel? Music brings many emotions along with it and often each person feels something different. Perhaps share with your family how the music makes you feel.
● What did you like about the song? It doesn't matter if you like or don't like a song or a piece of music. Think about the reasons why you do or don't and share some of these reasons with your family.
Fast Facts Information about the song:
● ‘Pure Imagination’ is a song from the 1971 film Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.
● It was written by British composers Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley specifically for the movie.
● It was sung by Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka).
● The introduction of the song is the musical code for entering the Chocolate Room and is played by Willy Wonka himself.