Encouraging your child’s language skills.
TALK WITH YOUR CHILD!
- Ask them about their day, interests, friends etc.
- Ask them their opinions eg. What’s their favourite TV programme and why? Talk about things that have happened.
- Get them to tell you about a story or TV programme they have seen.
SHARE BOOKS WITH YOUR CHILD.
- Read to them.
- Make up stories to go with the pictures.
- Retell stories together.
- Discuss your favourite characters or the funny bits of the story.
- Let them read to you.
Let your child lead the way in developing make believe stories.
- Tea parties.
- Playing with dolls or action figures.
Play with pretend telephones.
Take turns to give each other directions around the house, or instructions.
One person thinks of an object and everyone has to guess what it is by asking up to 20 questions. The answer can only be yes or no.
The children describe things as if they were sports commentators. This could be when you get on with cooking dinner and they give you a running commentary!