Home Page

5. Who will work with my child and what is their role?

The Class Teacher


He/She is responsible for:


  • Ensuring that all children have access to high quality teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and  discussing amendments with the Senco  as necessary.
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (Senco)


She is responsible for:


  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
    • part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. The Speech and Language Therapy Service, The Educational Psychologist.
  • Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential.
  • Supporting your child’s class teacher to set appropriate targets and personalise your child’s learning.
  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.


Education Support Worker (ESW) or SEND Support Assistant (SSA)


He/She is responsible for:


  • Working under the direction of the class teacher, to  support pupils to make progress and achieve independence. This may done though:
  • In class support.
  • Small Group interventions
  • 1:1 work



He is responsible for:


  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. He will give responsibility to the Sencos and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor


He/She is responsible for:


  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy.
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.

Other agencies


In order to ensure that a supportive and comprehensive plan can be developed to meet your child’s needs, Gascoigne works in partnership with many different agencies, including:


  • Directly funded by the school
    • Art Therapist
    • Parent Support Advisor
    • Additional Speech and Language Therapist
    • Additional Educational Psychologist
  • Provided by the Local Authority but delivered in school
    • Local Authority inclusion advisors
    • Community Educational Psychology Service
    • Joseph Clarke Outreach Service for pupils with visual impairment
  • NHS agencies
    • Speech and Language Therapy Service
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physiotherapy
    • School nurse and health visiting services
    • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)